Sunday, October 30, 2011

That trip was simply pun-tacular

Just got back from a trip to Nauvoo. It was a wonderful time with those who were there, and those that were unable to come were missed (Mike, Pat, and Dani, to name a few). Jared, however, could not stop saying 'rustic,' and turned every statement or question into a pun. If that was the biggest setback, I would say it was a darn good trip.
Now, to business. There was once a Russian Nuclear scientist who fell in love with an woman. However, he refuted all claims of God, a concept she most heartily endorsed. What was the outcome?
I have always loved romantic stories, and this is one I randomly thought of during the 6 hour drive home from Nauvoo. I am not sure why I thought of this story line in particular. I do not know any Russians, much less ones that were Nuclear scientists during the Cold War and are atheists. I think it is the concept of 'sticking to your guns' in the face of another doing the same that intrigues me, especially when it is someone you care for and your views are conflicting.
I am genuinely curious as to what would happen in this relationship. I know in a cheesy romantic movie, the soviet leaders would force the scientist to surrender the girl on pain of death, but he would then arrange her escape/rescue, not go with her to the US, where upon he would eventually become converted, and lose his life in a Russian gulag, but in a romantic way.
Here is my thing; I have been in love, but unfortunately I have dedicated my love most strongly to other people. A more interesting, and far less romantic in conventional senses, would be a man would loves his job and his family and his home, and is asked to leave it all to go on a mission... what would he do? There is no immediate, foreseen reward (such as a pretty American girl), and the world we live in would be less receptive to a man giving up two years of his life for God than fleeing his country for love and freedom. Trust me. I have been in variations of both stories.
Here is a style of love I have always revered; that of a Knight for his Liege. The ritualism that is portrayed in the relationship is honor and respect from both parties for each other. The Knight would sacrifice all he had, life, limb, and fortune, in an effort to serve his King. He bowed before him, served him in menial tasks, and was willing at all times in all things. This selfless service is true love; a willingness to abandon your own desires and goals for another, because when you love someone their desires become as great and important to you as your own.
How can I learn to honor and serve God in a way that is on par with that of the knights of old for their king? How can it be that I, one who has devoted so much of his time to studying and learning of the great code of chivalry and those affiliated with it, can be such a 'moderate at best' servant to his own Lord?
I must learn to love the Lord my God with all my soul, with every fiber of my being, and to learn and know his will, and live in a way that demonstrates that I believe it. I do believe in these things. What is left for me to do is to live this glorious, wonderful gospel.

No comments:

Post a Comment