Saturday, October 15, 2011

The truth is written on all our faces -Cal Lightman

Anyone who hasn't seen Lie to Me, I highly recommend it. It is a fun blend of loose science, fairly realistic office romance, and a main character whose narcissism drives him to be far more confrontational than is necessary. I absolutely love it.
Cal Lightman, played by Tim Roth (one of the more underrated actors in the world in my opinion), studies microexpressions; the brief twitches of the muscles in peoples faces that reveal the truth that only those specially trained can hide or alter. He uses his skills to read people, discover what they are lying about, and then work to uncover the truth. He is employed by politicians, the FBI, CIA, and private institutions in business, academia, etc. What Lightman does on the side, however, is screen every single boy who attempts to get close to his daughter, nose into his co-workers affairs, and terrorize local gyro stands. He reads everyone, whether he is getting paid/asked to or not. He reads every emotion that crosses their face, and judges them and criticizes them, and maybe even, if he is feeling overwhelmingly charitable, comforts them.
The reason I bring this up is because A) I have been streaming three seasons of the show for the last week with my dad, and B) because I cannot express myself in words and a times wish that I could be read like a book.
I made a trip up to school this week, compliments of my friend and her willingness to drive 68 miles (136 round) twice, and I was able to talk with a number of dear friends. In one particular conversation, I found out that one of my friends reminded me of me; she can't express herself effectively. Through a series of halting and repetitious statements, I found that her feelings on feelings matched my feelings on feelings... and if I write feelings one more time I am sure someone is going to demand my Man Card, and then offer me a Miller Lite 16oz aluminum can.
I am also streaming a series of Josh Groban songs, which does nothing to help my status as a man. I also want to watch jersey boys, hairspray, and Phantom of the Opera (starring Gerard Butler). I have insane amounts of difficulty being able to fully understand and then explain my feelings, but these things, this popular media, helps me. I know that touching, haunting, and Scots-Irish music make me shiver and tear up. I know that Romantic comedies get me. I know that if I simply try and describe the last scene of Last of the Mohicans to someone, I shrivel inside thinking of the pain, anguish, fear, and loss of a father witnessing his son's murder his son, and a women seeing her sister throw herself to her death, resigned to believing everything was lost, and I cannot stop myself from shaking with sobs, and wiping the tears from my face. I know that Miracle, Remember the Titans, and Rudy all make me want to work harder than I ever have to accomplish something amazing. I know that I have been touched by the spirit at so many keep points in my life, and I have been guided and directed by a still, small voice that displays far more patience with me than I have ever displayed for anything, and without that guidance, I would be lost. My chest tightens when I disappoint those that had expectations  for me or were relying on me. I cannot put these things into words without much preparing ahead of time what I am going to say. All I know at the moment is variations of heat and color that I feel within myself.
I now know from first hand experience that I am not alone with an inability to voice how I feel. I can reference it at times, but to flat out be able to tell someone how I feel is no where near one of my qualities. I am shy, and when it comes to how I feel, I will add reserved and quiet. My smile may mask my pain, and my tears are often that of joy. I don't know how to tell you how I feel, or how to fully express it. I apologize if this shortcoming has ever affected any of you, but it's who I am, and I am trying to get better at communicating. I just hope we can all have patience for those who can't find the words, and also patience for those who seem to never run out of words... or maybe we should all train to be microexpression experts.

1 comment:

  1. Did you know that Tim Roth was originally going to play Professor Snape? Part of me really wishes he had, I think he might have been able to play him a little closer to the Snape in the books (sure, Alan is good and stuff, but he kind of hams it up at times). Also, why is Josh Groban music emasculating?...

    ReplyDelete