Tuesday, October 18, 2011

There is no I in team... but winning team has TWO i's... just like your face!

I witnessed a great offensive performance by the Lutheran High School Girl's Volleyball team tonight. They easily outplayed Green Lake, winning handily in two games. Well done.
While watching this game, I focused intently on the gameplay, partly in an effort to ignore the lack of pants that volleyball players wear now. After the game, I realized that I was so impressed with how well they played that I didn't have to try to watch the game. After the first point, I was locked in. I noticed how easily, and quickly, and uniformly the teammates swarmed to, and from, the ball on a number of plays. They seemed to know each other well enough that much of the time they did not even appear to use verbal communication. They worked together with devastating efficiency.
Now I love watching many sports, and I have seen LeBron dominate a court, Pujols smash wins for the Cards, Barry Sanders carry the Lions for years (no wonder he retired early. Have you ever tried carrying a whole football team on your back?), track athletes win state school titles by themselves, swimmers breaking records to make up for teammates less than glamorous relay splits, etc. But I have never seen a single person dominate a volleyball court (excluding sand, here). Tonight I witnessed a truly team oriented sport. Now I know Wilt Chamberlain wouldn't have scored 100 without four other guys on the wood, and CJ2K needed somebody in front of him, but for the most part, they are very replaceable guys around true Stars (note the capitalization).
Two years ago, I watched the national title game for NCAA DIV I Women's Volleyball. It was sweet to watch them fluidly move around the net, surround the ball while moving key teammates to the corners and net, mixing feints with spikes, and moving up blockers while keeping the open spots covered... two years later, I still remember watching that in the Horse and Plow.
In everything we do with others, there is an element of trust with everyone else involved. I trust my sister to be compelled in most things that she does, except for eating, doing dance/kickboxing aerobics, and drawing. I trust my friends to not push me to drink, smoke, or any unclean thing when we go out, and they trust me to help keep them safe if they do decided to engage in aforementioned activities. My mom trusts my dad to clean the kitchen if he didn't do his other responsibilities, and to attempt to clean the garage every year for her b-day. But The QB trusts the tackles to block, pitcher trusts the outfielders, who trust the pitcher, and the professional bowler trusts his bowling ball.
These girls seem to trust each other whole heartedly on that court. I fully expect a state championship, and maybe even a repeat performance next year. Thank you for showing me how perfectly people can operate when they are in tune, and good luck Thursday night!!

No comments:

Post a Comment