Sunday, October 9, 2011

Keep on keepin on.

To open, congrats to Brian Curran and Austin Gabrielse on  completing the Chicago Marathon this year (4:05 and 3:03), and Mike Buettner for having a go as well.
In other news, I now admit that my freak out and over reaction may have been uncalled for following the packers falling into a 14-0 deficit. However, at halftime, I calmed myself realizing that 14-6 was not that bad a score given that the Packers got the ball first. 30 minutes of game time later, the Packers pull off a 25-14 victory. Dropped passes, sacks, and poor running did nothing to prevent the Green and Gold from keeping Ryan, Turner, White and Jones off the field in chunks, then force them to go down field, where the secondary finally came alive.
Going down 14-0 in the first quarter is disheartening, especially when it happened off a Grant fumble (first in 325 touches). I am pretty sure that I would be hanging my head, and feeling my feet get heavy, and my reaction time slow. I don't think I would be able to play effectively at that point. But McCarthy's team, Wisconsin's team, stood strong.
I hope that I can find that strength. Many days find me worn out, tired, angry, restless, irritable, or any of a number of other negative emotions. It takes me a great deal of time and energy to force myself into a positive light. At work, at church, or at home, I need to force myself to be happy. And that just doesn;t make any sense to me.
People like being happy. It is a positive emotion. So why do we allow ourselves to feel so negative so often. According to the economic law of utility, every decision that someone makes is made to maximize one's happiness, or minimize the expected loss (thus preserving the greatest amount of utility). So by staying angry, we are, for some reason, enjoying the anger more than the happiness. Where do we learn that? Will I teach that to my children?
I fear getting married. I am afraid of raising my children. I am scared of messing up someone else's life because I don't know what I am doing. I want to help my children be the most successful they can be. I'm nervous about having to handle a budget for mortgage, car payments,  utilities, etc., and forgetting that one check. I want to be willing to ask for help. I want my friends and family to be willing to offer their advice and help. Trust me; I will need it.
That sure is looking ahead.
More in my immediate future, I want that help and advice and support in my preparation and and service of my mission. mere months away from going away for two years, I am more nervous than I have ever been. Please, keep me and my family in your thoughts and prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment