Saturday, October 1, 2011

In the day and age of '16 and pregnant' and 'teen mom,' should we really follow Nike's motto?

This evening, I had the privilege of attending a meeting where I listened to the Prophet, as well as other prominent members of my religion, speak to us directly through a world-wide, satellite teleconference. It is a truly spectacular experience. We are blessed with hearing the mouth piece of the Lord speak to us regarding today's issues, giving to us guidance and direction that we may be able to live a life of worthiness and true, eternal, and everlasting happiness.
Thomas S. Monson, Prophet, Seer, and Revelator, spoke directly to thousands assembled in the building with him, as well as thousands upon thousands of others gathered in church buildings around the world. And yet, with his message going out to all these hundreds of thousands of men, I felt that his message, as well as the messages of each of the other five speakers, spoke directly to me.
How glorious that I can be given direction from God in this day and age; a day and age when the popular concepts of what constitutes morality have diminished so greatly; where those select few who are actually religious are seen as strangers and odd balls and old fashioned and unbelievers of science; a period of history where I feel, at times, lost and alone in the world. But whenever I feel alone, I can pray for comfort and guidance, and feel the spirit of the Lord.
Of all the things in this Church, one of the things that most amazes me is the acts of selflessness that so many people demonstrate. I have spent most of my young adult life caring for an elderly women in my congregation to the point where I may even love her more than my own grandmother. She taught my Sunday school lessons for 2 years, and I have helped care for her farm house, and now her much more domesticated house for 10 years. I have spent countless hours mowing her lawn, shoveling her walk ways, cleaning her garage, helping her garden, planting trees, going grocery shopping with her, stacking firewood, painting, assembling shelves and peg board walls, organizing her basement, working on her windows, caring for her cats, taking out her garbage... and all that I know that I have asked from her in return is the recipe for a scrumptious, yet terrifyingly unhealthy, dessert she affectionately calls Fungus Cookies, so named by her son because "they grow on you." I would also like to make a pitch for her wonderful Volvo when she no longer has need for it, but that seems far to insensitive a topic to bring up.
I have devoted much of my life to service toward this wonderful, optimistic, caring women, and I believe that I do love her. "Love thy neighbor as thyself" we are told. Well, truth be told, I find loving her easier than loving myself at times. She has never led me astray, or let me explore twisted and dark paths that lead to transgression. She has only ever inspired me to want to live in a way that I may be with her in heaven.
In loving her, I learn first hand what charity, the pure love of Christ, really is.
Another that I love is a former Young Men's leader who calmly and affectionately promised us the blessings that could be ours if we dared to strive for them. Through stories of his own life, and being a part of it, I have learned what comes of following the teachings of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Happiness seems to simply permeate from his house, and spread to all those who step within their walls. Their family is a joyous group of smiling faces at the supermarket, and their spirit touches all those who come in contact with them. Through his easy going ways, he helped convinced me to go on a mission by answering my questions, and then letting me decide. He did not prod, did not pester or attempt to entice me to go. He simply planted the seeds, and let the spirit do the rest. I thank him for his patience, and thank him for his example.
These two individuals are amazing examples of how to live a Christ like life. They are generous in word and deed, and live the gospel in their daily lives. I am thankful that the Church has brought these people into my life, that the spirit is able to guide me in my daily activities, and that I have the opportunity to help spread that Gospel of love, joy, and happiness to the world.
I can bear witness that I feel the love of my Heavenly Father, and the mercies of His plan of Salvation that allow me to return to the glories and eternal wonder of and everlasting life with Him who sent me here. I feel joy at the simplicity of repentance, and feel sorrow mingled with elation whenever I dwell on the sacrifice that Jesus went through to atone for our sins, in providing a way that we might be able to become clean, and unstained.
I believe wholly that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is the true and everlasting church of God, and was restored to the earth by Joseph Smith, who was an inspired prophet and leader for this generation. I believe that the Book of Mormon was translated through divine inspiration by the prompting of the Holy Ghost and that it is the defining text by which we should base our gospel learning around. I believe that Christ will one day come again, and bring about the resurrection of the dead, and what will follow will be eternal life. I believe that my local authorities are loving and gracious men and women who sacrifice so much to teach me and support me that my life can be made better.

2 comments:

  1. I didn't read the article, but I spotted the words "Joseph Smith". This evidence along with your known disposition to the Mormonites leads me to believe that this has something to do with Mormons in general. Be sure to check out my accidental blog! http://followakloiber.blogspot.com/2011/10/sunday-october-2nd-2011.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. ... "Mormonites"?...

    Anyway:

    If the cookies are so scrumptious, why do they have to grow on you? Ha ha. Thanks for sharing your testimony. And you're right about this day and age and its rapidly slipping morality level, and interesting about the Nike thing, especially since "Just do it" became a catchphrase of Spencer W. Kimball during his time as president of the Church.

    ReplyDelete