Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Tis the Bloody Season

I had been driving for 10 minutes with Christmas music playing on the radio, and I didn’t notice. When I did come to my senses and realized what had been playing, I wasn’t upset. Now, in the post Thanksgiving phase of the calendar, I must accept the holiday spirit that will be taking over every branch of media possible. Tinsel and bows decorate Festival foods, my co-worker brought in Justin Beiber’s Christmas CD (this I did get upset about), the office speakers are playing all Christmas music, and my co-workers are already starting to bake Christmas cookies. I am also looking forward to Christmas, but largely because I am hoping that the Packers will be making themselves 15-0 at that point and have home field advantage clinched… I am also looking forward to seeing my family.

To be fair to this crazy time of the year, I have caught myself singing ‘Oh, Holy Night’ as far back as early September. I have been practicing carols for my Church choir  for weeks and have been doing some light work on memorizing and harmonizing to a handful of songs that I hope to sing during my families Caroling Party (the capitalization of those words is deserving). I enjoy singing. I enjoy camaraderie. I enjoy ringing the Salvation Army bells. I enjoy looking at wonderful decorations (I can deal with putting them up).

But to be honest, the 25 Days of Christmas do not do me any real favors beyond brining my family from the far corners of the country. TV commercials, pop-ups on the web, and the 14 Christmas parties invitation all scream “SPEND YOUR MONEY ON OUR STUFF THAT WE PUT ON SALE SO THAT YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY CAN FEEL INCLUDED IN YOUR LOVE… for an hour until your gift to them is left forgotten in the closet.” I do not like how commercial Christmas has become (I really hope this doesn’t turn into a spiteful bashing of Christmas). I want just a peaceful, family and food filled festivity. As I thought about Christmas yesterday, I discovered that I wanted to celebrate Easter more. The Atonement of Christ is far more critical to my life than his birthday (I know that without the latter we wouldn’t have the former, but don’t try using logic arguments on me).

Now, to a more peaceful subject matter. Last night, I was asleep before my dad even pulled into our driveway. I didn’t officially get up until 8 o’clock this morning after going to falling asleep at 8:30 (I don’t consider it going to bed because I still had to get up, get to my bedroom, and then remember that I hadn’t brushed my teefs yet). I also remembered that I hadn’t delivered Season 1 of Lost back to Jared, which I did this morning when I gave it to my sister to give to him at church (I hope it made it to him). I woke up half a dozen times last night to a variety of music that included Mumford and sons, Eminem, Katy Perry, Tiao Cruz, and Kelly Clarkson. I dreamed that I picked up the front end of a car, and flipped it over its side onto its roof to prevent a lady from driving off with giving a lady a ride. There was also something with Sean Astin doing some odd tricks on a bicycle, a restraint under attack, and some strange love interest I had (I think I was the Hero, and there is always a love interest there). I have been so out of it the last two days that I forgot to put a shirt on under my jacket this morning, and tried to turn off my lamp so my alarm would stop blaring, and followed that up with telling my little sister to turn off her radio (She hadn’t been in the house for nearly three hours at this point). On a somewhat less embarrassing note, I mixed up every possible combination at work today (No one else has them memorized, though), proceeded to try and pull my pants on over my shoes, and didn’t notice I had yet to put on my belt until around 11. I then napped through my lunch break. I will now give my excuse for this entire paragraph.

Yesterday, I had my final doctor appointment required for my missionary application, and the stabbed my three times to take my blood, had to constantly jimmy and twist the needle so I continued to bleed, and injected me full of TB. They say the effects are intense itching and a large red irritation across my arm in addition to some swelling. I itched last night, but there is no swelling or redness. I do feel immensely tired. Intrigued, I googled the effects of TB. Symptoms include loss of appetite and loss of energy. Now, I have always been able to eat like a monstrous dragon, so the fact that I have been tided over with just two burritos and two bagels today discourages me. I do not have a fever, to my knowledge, but have had waves of sweats all day while my co-workers have complained about how cold it is. I sure hope that I didn’t get sick by going to the doctor to get a clean bill of health.

The bright side is that I tested very well for vision (the nurse said 20/13… is that an actual vision level?[just googled it. Totally exists!]).

I still have had no success in mine sweeper. I have been using a mouse pad, and I keep inadvertently  double tapping the pad when going to set up a flag, resulting in the 36th of 40 mines blowing me sky high. It has been almost depressing.

1 comment:

  1. I am a master at Minesweeper, but yes, I must have a mouse. It's all about the middle-click.

    ReplyDelete