Monday, November 7, 2011

I can't come up with a good title, cause my original one is trademarked...

Unfortunately, Planet Fitness has trademarked their tagline regarding their Zone Without Judgement, which is what the title of this blog was going to be this morning... so much for that!
Any-whoot, I work out at Planet Fitness on a fairly regular basis. It's a nice place. Strange pro-Vikings color scheme, not heavy enough kettlebells, and no area to do deadlift, and a rule against grunting, but other than that it is convenient and inexpensive. Here is my ire, though; no matter how many plastic covers you put over the weights on the machines, or how many alarms you set up for when people drop dumbells, or the number of rules you have against 'muscle t's,' people will continue to judge the skinny, the overweight, the weak, the guy who spends too much time in the tanning booth and the girl who wears too much makeup for working out, that group of 8 guys who talk loudly going from one machine to the next, and the guy that works there who I would bet $10 has a tattoo similar to the one that Noah Marlowe has. You can do everything you can to change how people think, but plastic coverings isn't the way to do it. To be completely honest, I feel limited when working out there. It isn't really a 'Free' place; it is a place that has catered to average or sub-average market.
That is why I am upset. I don't care if they make a place where everyone feels comfortable going to work out, but I do not like how I can't work out to my fullest extent because my turning red faced and hissing an expulsion of air would upset the delicate balance of the Planet while bench pressing.You cannot force people to look at each other without judgement. Just ask politicians.
100 years after being given rights to citizenship under the Constitution of the United States, Martin Luther King Jr. was shot to death trying to campaign for equal rights across the races. In Plessy v. Ferguson, the Supreme Court decided that segregation was legal, as long as there was equality in the separation. This remained in effect for 58 years before being overturned in Brown v. Board of education in 1954, 14 years before King Jr. was shot. This means that 143 years ago the US government put in place an amendment to the Constitution allowing for equal citizenship, had to reinforce it 2 years later with an amendment regarding voting rights across the spectrum, and I am still hearing about racial imbalance, oppression, subjegation, and how the world is an unfair place for blacks.
I do recognize (note, not understand) that there is still a statistically unbalanced portion of this country living in poverty who are black. Statistically, blacks and women are less likely to be promoted. Middle class whites complain about not getting college financial aid because they are too average. Women athletes tend to not have a market. There is so much more, but I have to get to work (via Planet Fitness).
Here is what I am getting at. You can try to force as many rules and as much legislation down peoples throats as you want, but this country is judgemental. I do it. I watch people run, and think 'uggh!!! disgusting! how can they do that! doesn't that hurt? It sure hurts my eyes!' She had flowing blonde hair, 18 years old, 5' 10'', and 125lbs. Ever heard of Blake Lively? Horrible running form in Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. I judge her every time she runs. I judge myself every time I eat an entire frozen pizza and contemplate getting another one. We are Americans; we judge the world (who hasn't told a Canadia joke? Made in China joke? Using a British accent to sound hotter counts as being judgemental). I have this problem, too, so I will work on it. Please do the same, and let me sputter while lifting.

1 comment:

  1. Ummm, I don't think you need to worry about trademarked material for blogging... It's not like you're making any money on it. If there were those kind of limits, I could never even mention Harry Potter on my blog, and goodness knows I have done that plenty of times!

    Also, it really sounds to me like this gym has some ridiculous rules in place. I didn't even know there were public places of exercise that try to enforce allowance of only certain interjections.

    ReplyDelete