Tuesday, November 8, 2011

I got an extra hour this morning!!!

This has nothing to do with daylight savings. As it turns out, I don't work until 9:30 this morning, so even though I got an extra hour of sleep, I get an extra 30 minutes to do my morning routine in addition to the extra sleep. I think that is a pretty good deal.
In church on Sunday, Ted mentioned how a way to continue to follow the strait and narrow path is to keep our eyes on it. When our vision turns to either side, it acts as a rudder. I have noticed the effects in running, swimming, throwing a ball/frisbee, biking, driving, and pogo sticking. However subtle it is, you change direction when you turn your head. The same holds true with the spiritual. When you focus your attention on the defender/rocks in the path/pot hole/ the runner in the next lane, you will begin to move toward it/throw toward it. When your attention is focused on the things that you aren't supposed to do, you will have those things on your mind constantly. Besides, who wants to go through the day thinking "okay, today I can't drink, swear at the neighbors cat, punch my boss, steal a car, sleep with my secretary, shoot up heroine, ask someone if they want a ride then zoom off without them laughing hysterically, or set fire to the corn field onside of town."
Every day should be spent firmly planting ourselves in the teachings of the Gospel. We should keep our attentions on the good things that we must do; service to our fellow man, scripture study, personal prayer, tithing, attending our meetings, etc.
A common phrase that I have heard takes a progression from thoughts eventually becoming who you are. By dwelling ever on that which you want to become, you will eventually become it. It may take time. It may take practice to always focus on the good things in this world, but the more you work at thinking about being a better, the better you will become.

No comments:

Post a Comment