Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Welcome to Earth

This blog will not actually have anything to do with aliens (or Will Smith, for that matter). I just really like Independence Day. Although, the title does still fit my topic, albeit, loosely, and it all started with my morning outfit.
Every school day, my little sister gets up at 5:15, gets ready for her day, and wakes me up at 5:30. I brush my toofs, make a burrito, and then drive her to early morning seminary, a staple in the LDS community for high school students. This is the plan, at least. Tyner usually gets up at 5:25, and we leave the house at 5:45, which is when seminary starts. I stay in bed until Tyner has 4 minutes before she is ready. I skip brushing, and usually put on a kilt and loose T-shirt, and take my burrito with me (I let it cool while I drive and take my first bite in the church parking lot). This morning, I wanted to swing by Festival Foods, because it is close to my church, and buy a razor. When I dropped Tyner off, however, I realized a few things.
1) I had not brushed my teeth yet.
2) I skipped the shirt this morning, and was wearing a zip up hoodie.
3) I only wear a shoe on my right foot because our Ford Focus is a manual, and the clutch no longer has a no slip pad, so I wrap my toes around it so my foot doesn't slide off.
4) I was wearing a kilt... the proper way.
These factors all contributed to a lack of a new razor for me. It also helped me recognize something else; I really miss college.
I am in a sort of limbo; working in the 'real world,' but when I get back from my mission, I plan on going back to school. I do wish I were still at school, but at home working is where I need to be compared to college.
Every day, I am reminded of college; jokes, facebook posts, tv shows, football. Each day, I think of my friends that I wish I could have finished school with, people that I was looking forward to getting to know better. As excited as I am for my mission, I dearly miss my friends at SNC. Leaving school early for my mission was one of the hardest decisions I have had to make.
I now work at Associated Bank, and it is great. I work with great people, I now have a firm grasp on the Teller position, and I am getting the hang of opening accounts. Here's the thing; 'real world' jobs remind me very much of college as well. I show up to work, fairly sedately work through the tasks of the day, laugh and joke with my co-workers, and then go home. The next day, repeat. It is a very monotonous thing, these real world jobs. I do learn new things on the job, and I am well directed by management, but college is more interesting to me. I know that I am going to have at least one great lesson each day at SNC. I get to see more people at school, I can stay up until after midnight, wok out at 7, eat when I want without having to buy groceries ahead of time, nap before each class, etc. Life at school is more hectic, chaotic, exciting. Each day is a new adventure. At work, I need to go out of my way to find interesting topics to learn about, I run every day trying to find a new adventure, I have plowed through numerous books, some unpublished, and am reading many for a second time. I have even made a playbook for football, and I am planning on reviewing my notes from my econ classes from the past two-plus years. I am going so far out of my way to try and recreate my college experience. My behavior sounds clingy and immature to me, but it is the truth; I can't wait to go back to college.
My foray into the world has thus far left a great deal to be desired; I feel relatively unchallenged.
College, though a tad easier up to this point, is more exciting, and right mow, I could use some fireworks in my life.

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe you actually wear kilts as part of everyday clothing, to the point of mentioning it as part of your standard morning routine... NERD. Ha ha.

    ReplyDelete