Wednesday, April 1, 2015

How bad do you want it?

This is a commonly thrown out question by motivational speakers. I really enjoy looking up motivation videos on youtube and watching them. They are usually combinations of a couple different famous athletes with inspiring feats of physical aptitude, or something of that gist. The one I have been watching the most recently is titled "Rise and Shine." I like the diversity of the sports shown. I also look up a lot of Adrian Peterson videos, because let's face it; he's a beast on the gridiron.
My hope is that every time I immerse myself in these sorts of things, I get a spark. I strive a little harder. I decided against playing football this year because I am working two jobs (coaching High School CC and as a Caregiver in a residential facility), but I am already really missing it. I was able to play in the first game, and I felt good physically. But without goals on the near horizon, am I going to be able to keep the desire to workout high?
History says no. I have always been good at intermittent workouts. It's how I burn off stress, so whenever it gets bad for me, I hit the gym, or go for a run, or do hill sprints. But consistent, focused, progressive workouts? Nah, not really my thing. I like to do a workout for the fun or the relief of stress. Just lifting or going through a bunch of football or rugby drills on my own isn't a huge draw for me. At least not by myself.
Associated with this is another thought. I was driving on 32 headed up towards the Fox Valley/Green Bay area, and I recalled that I was supposed to workout before I had left. Well, I figured I'd do it later. The thoughts of "I'll do it tomorrow" are fairly common for me. But I started thinking in terms of physics; what denotes time for us? Our measurement of it's passing, which is a human conceived and denoted object. I decided to toss aside the measurement of time in minutes and seconds and thought; how will I determine time now? The passage of the sun is a good one, but I thought that feeling it pass, FEELING it, would be best. We have all had a time when we got caught up, and realized that night fell without our notice. Or, where we figured it was time to head up to bed, only to find that it was just after 6 pm (screw you short, wintery days!). If I use this as my base, then time is only as I experience it. By this logic, there is, technically, no future, and the past cannot be altered, leaving me with each individual moment... which I am currently spending typing at a computer. Every today becomes yesterday. Every tomorrow becomes today. So really, if we use the laws of mathematics that state that "if A=B and B=C, A=C" then we can deduce that every tomorrow is, in reality, a yesterday. Gotta use our todays, cause they're really all we have.
(Written 12/14/14)

No comments:

Post a Comment