Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Heroic Parenting!

I I found a picture... of corgis... dressed as superheros... I was giddy.
Anyway, I woke up the next day, and thought of the picture again as I was grabbing my Captain America t-shirt for a wonderful 8 hour Saturday shift. Suddenly, it hit me; I should make my kids superheros! Oh my gosh, wouldn't that be fun!!! The biggest problem with it is that tastes and preferences, change. I was die hard Gambit when I was a kid, and I still really like the guy, but (as my current wardrobe may suggest) I am a Capt. 'Murca dude now. I still am a fan of a ton of other heroes (Thor, Wolverine, Hulk has become awesome in my mind ever since I read an online thread about pitting Hulk against Thor [my vote goes Hulk], Superman [obvi], Green Lantern), but my favorite seems to change with time. I hope I stick with the Captain for a good, long time, though... I have spent far too much money on acquiring a Captain themed wardrobe.
Anyways!!! So, give each child an assignment at birth. They will be expected to live up to the character they are appointed... well, the more I talk about this, the worse of an idea it seems.
But it brings up a point; how do I encourage my kids to great things? I want them in sports, but I think they should be well rounded, so dance, gymnastics (I think it is a sport, but just not a mainstream one), singing, playing an instrument; all these will also be pushed (not forced, but pushed). I think it would be good once they are in school to set yearly goals on their birthday, and reward successes. For instance, if my son is in 7th grade and wants to learn to play hockey, a yearly goal would be to learn to skate backwards and handle a puck on blades. A 5 year old would maybe just learn to skate. Maybe it would be to memorize the Gettysburg address, or Martin Luther King Jr.'s "I have  a Dream" speech. Maybe write a piano piece, or a song parody. Perhaps publish an original poem, or make Eagle scout. Whatever they want to accomplish. In addition to setting goals, I would also like to set up a system to help them accomplish their goals. Let's take Eagle scout; I would ask how many merit badges they need to earn, how many advancements remain, inquire what type of Eagle Scout Project ideas they have, and record the goal, and the steps toward accomplishing it. Tracking progress has a significant correlation with achieving success, so we would track how quickly we were moving towards completion of the goal. At the end of the year, we sit down together, look at the goals, and celebrate the completions.
I know I have quite a bit of time at the least before I even have to worry about any of this, but I got on the idea, and it stayed up in my noggin, just bouncing around, begging to be written down.
(Written 12/13/15)

No comments:

Post a Comment