Monday, March 19, 2012

Resistance is Feudal!

When addressing me in public, feel free to use my first name. When addressing me in a formal setting, I would appreciate (though do not expect) to be called by my full name and title; Sir Gavin, House of Strachan, Palatine of Scotland. Now, I try not to be egotistical, but upon learning that my family is the only one in history that was both an Earldom and an Regality, I felt a touch of pride at this. I will also now shout “Clachnaben” before races, my family’s war cry.
The reason I bring this up is because I am currently back on a medieval fascination. I reviewed the Vigil of Knighthood, and I will lay it out here before you now.
Originally, a knight was a warrior who proved himself on the field of battle, and was either dubbed there and then, or very recently after. As the Church gained more political power, they re-worked knighting into a religious ceremony. The Knight prospect would cut his hair as a sign of devotion to God. Depending on whether joining a certain Order of Knighthood, or what was expected of you following being knighted would determine the severity of the haircut. It ranged from a lock of hair to tonsuring, reminiscent of monks. A prospect would then be bathed, purifying him, and be clothed in white, a symbol of that purity. Other clothing would be added, including red, symbolizing the sacrifice of blood associated with battle, and black, a symbol of death that none can escape. He would spend the night in a chapel or at an altar, immersed in prayer and meditation. During this whole time, he would be fasting, drawing him closer to the poor and needy whom he should dedicate his efforts to helping.
The following dawn, after hours spent in supplication, he would be led into a chapel where mass would be had. His sword and shield are before him, blessed by a priest. His sponsor, or mentor, is with him, and passes the armor and sword to the Lord whom the prospect will soon swear fealty, whereby said items are handed to the prospect. The spurs were then attached, and the Lord dubbed the knight by striking him with the flat of a blade, either upon shoulders, head , or even both. The man then rises as a knight.
An excellent process, if I do say so myself. I would like to say, however, that I have been knighted. That is right. After performing feats of strength and endurance, I (by providing the sword) was knighted by a Queen. I think that is deserving of a ‘boom.’ Following that, I attended St. Norbert College, and am now a Green Knight as well (slightly less of a boom as there are 2200 on campus, and probably fifteen to twenty thousand overall). I am also a member of the Black Knights, a much more selective group populated by runners who have less than pristine records with sports at SNC.
In other words, I am fascinated with Knighthood, Chivalry, Medieval Orders, and the connection between the social aspects of knighthood (religious fealty and devotion, artistic displays of music, art and poetry, gentle nature towards women and the poor, rules regarding public confrontations and politics) as well as the violent, physical side that knights are most well known for (battle, jousting, dueling, etc.). It is just such a blend that I aspire to. I wish to be a well rounded individual, trained in the arts, able to accomplish physical feats, and sociable and likeable.
To my misfortune, I am rather lacking in artistic displays, too shy to be sociable, and lacking in a multiplicity of physical traits that allow me to fall short of my physical goals. In the end, I guess I am just hoping to be as good as I can be, and be able to look back on my life with pride (not the evil type, but the happy type).

No comments:

Post a Comment