Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Keep Your Eyes Open. There May Be More of Them.

I watch numerous TV shows. Netflix Instant Streaming is great for me. It has Supernatural and Burn Notice, How I Met Your Mother, Psych, and Lie To Me. It does have many other shows (some that I also watch, some that I do not), but I would appreciate the additions of Chuck and Smallville to the list.
I began watching Burn Notice again, and I thought about the number of interesting things that can be garnered from popular shows. Michael Westen teaches you how to spot a tail (use a contrasting environment with those you expect to be tailing you), fight someone with minimal pain inflicted (open your fist just before striking), and how to prepare your surroundings (greasing a hand hold, or arranging mirrors to reflect light, etc.). How I Met Your Mother teaches many lessons on relationships (many of them what not to do's). White Collar is a great show for fashion advice if you don't want a lisping, bald(ing) man with a limp wrist talking. It also makes me want to take a pumice stone to my fingers to erase my finger prints. Psych mainly just teaches me the basics of how to make odd comebacks that are still somewhat witty. Lie to Me is a crash course in lie detection, of course.
In many cases, I do not find that the show is instructive enough. I believe that you should go about searching for more information. With HIMYM, I find asking my women friends how they feel about situations in the show. With LtM, I practiced the techniques a little bit, and looked into basic human reaction from the view point of psychologists and biologists. With BN, it might be watching a lot of History and Discovery Channel documentaries on Marines and SEALS. For Psych, you just need a working knowledge of 1980's pop culture.
I just know that I enjoy the shows, learn a little, laugh a lot more, and anticipate new episodes.

No comments:

Post a Comment