Thursday, March 22, 2012

Let the Games Begin!!!

I am very excited to watch The Hunger Games tomorrow. I think my mom is even getting off work in order to come to the matinee!!! When I first started preparing for a mission and I saw the advertisements for the movie, I felt slightly crestfallen. I was fairly sure that I would be gone by the time the movie hit theaters. But due to a series of hard-to-tell-if-they-were-unfortunate events, I will still be here when the theaters open.
IF you haven't read the books, I suggest them. I will also suggest (yet again) that anyone who likes satire, NEEDS to read Pratchett. He has something to offer most everyone. His main plots are usually easy to follow, though you may get hung up on the details now and again )and again, and probably again).
I also just read a book titled Unbroken. Anyone who is interested in stories of overcoming adversity must pick this book up. It follows the true story of Louis Zamperini, widely thought to be the first man who could break the four minute mile barrier, he joins the US Air Force when following Pearl Harbor, and is captured by the Japanese in the Pacific Theater. The story is heart breaking, and nearly unbelievable. I nearly cried three times in the first three chapters.
I am also reading Pride and Prejudice on Project Gutenberg, a website where you can download or read any book older than the original copyright (I believe that means any book over 100 years old). I have also read the Sherlock Holmes books on the site... twice. It is a fantastic site.
I am also interested in reading Shutter Island (recommended to me by a manager at Festival Foods) and Game of Thrones (recommended by my assistant manager). Any other recommendations?
Also, interesting tidbit, around 10% of my blog views come from outside the United States, and about 5% are from Russia. I think that is simply fantastic! I tried learning Russian once, but it was an absolute and utter failure (kind of like me trying to learn German, but without the classes and the tests. I still don't know German after 7 years of classes though). I still have copies of the Book of Mormon in German, Russian, and Spanish, in addition to my English copies.
Well, another day of reading blogs, online scriptures, and memes awaits at work! Go forth, my friends!!!

1 comment:

  1. What, no Hmong Book of Mormon? Ha ha, you need to hit up the elders for one of those. I am excited for The Hunger Games too! We have tickets for tomorrow night. :D

    ReplyDelete