Saturday, December 3, 2011

What are you doing here? Oh, I thought you were someone else.

The highlight of my work day was getting told I look like Aaron Rodgers. Second on the highlight reel was finally getting to see the fist fight between two 70-plus year old coaches in the CFL. Third was getting a free wrap for lunch.

More about my Number 1 Highlight: As part of my job, I stand out in the aisles of Festival Food with a cart covered in Associated Bank propaganda (cookie cutters this week! As well as a 200- dollar giveaway!), and on my other side is an Aaron Rodgers, almost life size, cut out. In my 15 minutes shift between the cart and the cut out, I was greeted with dropped jaws at least a half dozen times when I said hello. Of the 20 people I greeted coming into the store, about 10 thought that I was Aaron Rodgers, including a guy in produce who is a bank customer I have worked with on numerous occasions, while two thought I was also a cut out. I do take this as a compliment (the Rodgers connection, not the fact that I can apparently stand very still). I may think that A-Rodge is a bit goofy looking, but if people want to compare me to one of the most dynamic playmakers in the sports world right now, I am all for it.

It does bring to mind a number of other comparisons I have drawn. In high school, a friend compared me to gold medalist Shawn White. Later, I was told I looked like Ben Stiller. In college, I was told I looked like Matt Damon, Brad Pitt, Mark Wahlberg, Lance Armstrong, and even Peyton Hillis (except for my lack of massive pipes). Many times when someone compares me to a celebrity, I just laugh it off. People have also said I look like my brother Tom, but I disagree with that as well (But we both look like our older brother Brandon).

It is fun to google celebrity look-a-likes. I generally look at sports figures with celebrity figures (Aaron Rodgers and BJ Novak, Ed Hochuli and Arnold Schwarzenegger, Josh Hartnett and Raphael Nadal, Sidney Crosby and Andy Sandberg, Dan Marino and David Hasselhoff to name a few). It is also fun when you notice one of your friends REALLY looks like a celebrity (John Anstett/Michael Phelps. Anyone on the SNC campus that knows him can confirm this).

I don’t think the other two need any more analysis. Feel free to watch the video of the fight on Youtube, though!

I think that I need to learn to play rugby. It seems to be a fairly straightforward game, and I think I am more suited for it than football. Football has gotten to be a sport that I am too negative on myself due to my lack of prototypical size, speed, explosiveness, and strength.

Which sport would be the best as a base of training for all other sports? Gymnastics, soccer, or hockey? I think a combination of all three would be terrific, but I think I would lean towards gymnastics as the overall winner. It coaches coordination, strength, flexibility, body control, balance, etc. I think I will have my kids do gymnastics from ages 3-7, soccer 5-10, and hockey 9-14 (Times adjustable based on preferences of the child).

No comments:

Post a Comment