Monday, October 1, 2012

Isolated

We had no phone. We could not even contact anyone to let them know our troubles. Our mail delivery was on hold. We could not write our office to let them know our plight. For 4 days, we were stuck in limbo. We could do nothing! Such was our state last week. We did not have mail delivered to our apartment for 11 days! We decided to discover the cause for this by calling our Mission Office, but our phone had ceased to function. We could not contact investigators. We could not call our members. We floundered in the depths of fear and loneliness... not really, but it did make things quite difficult for us. We also spent a day in when our Zone Leader, Elder Vaughn, spent the day with a non-serious case of Montezuma's Revenge, so the results of this past week were somewhat less than satisfactory... but we ended the week with a baptism!!!
Bro. Davis had been going through a number of trials in his life on so many fronts. Undeterred by these tribulations, he pressed forward, with a steadfast faith in Christ and the power of His atonement (2 Nephi 31:20). I have been teaching him since I arrived in Lodi in late June. He is amazing, and I was honored and humbled to be there for him.
In an effort to draw closer to Christ myself, I began to read 'Jesus the Christ' by James E. Talmage. It is a fantastic book, and sparks within me a desire to read the Pearl of Great Price. Talmage's book is over 700 pages and speaks of Christ's life before earth, His ministry on earth, His purpose, His plan, everything! I am really enjoying it in a way I never could have even 2 months ago. When my brother Brandon sent me the book, I was almost reluctant to take it with me on my mission. I am so glad that I packed it. It has strengthened my testimony and reinforced my knowledge.
Wednesday morning found me in the bathroom, shaving as I sang 'Oh Holy Night.' Admittedly, I started singing that song last year on September 9th, so I am closer to Christmas this year, but I almost began to scold myself about my pre-October festivities when I dwelled on something; I should be celebrating Christ at all times in my life. So, apologies to any who will be annoyed, but I am now singing Christmas songs.
Elder Nethercott and I have found ourselves doing a great deal of one thing; tracting. We go from one door to the next, picking a street for the morning, another for the afternoon, and a last for the evening. We knock every door on the street, and do our best to share our testimony with everyone we talk to. I was getting somewhat down on myself at the lack of success that tracting normally has, so I thought of the alternatives, and about how I could be napping in the apartment, or at least studying the Book of Mormon. Then, the Holy Ghost saw fit to grace me with an inspiring thought; if I were back in the apartment, I would be disappointed that I was not out working. I wouldn't enjoy the rest. The slothful acts would hang over me like a bright neon sign. For the rest of the night, I was upbeat, and I hope that it will carry through the next 20 months+.
Three more things of a spiritual nature before I close. Bro. Lance, a young man still not out of college, but with a wife and child and 2 years good service in Ireland, bore his testimony yesterday on prayer. He shared the Book of Mormon with someone in Ireland as a missionary just as the woman's friends, who are member drove past and honked their horn. Bro. Lance met with that family the next day, and they told him that that morning, they prayed that they could share the gospel with this woman that the missionaries met on the street. He says "When we pray specifically the Lord gives us specific answers." It hardly gets more specific than that!
Before church began, Elder Nethercott and I met with our ward mission leader (WML), Matt Anderson. To be blunt, Matt is not the best of WML's. He admits it. He tells every new missionary to not even have expectations for him, but I like, admire, and want to work hard for him, so he is a great WML for me. To stay on topic, we were discussing our teaching, and he made a comment that basically meant that what we need to teach is the Atonement, because that is what matters. We need to teach of Christ's ministry, because that is how we learn to come unto Him. We need to teach of his miracles, because they are testimonies of the Priesthood. He has a POWERFUL testimony, and it lifted me up and inspired me.
Lastly, we met with our Mission President last night at a fireside, or a seminar of sorts, where two recent converts bore their testimonies. They were able to feel the Spirit of Christ because people opened their mouths and shared their love for Christ with them. How selfish would it be to hold that for yourself, to not share your testimony, that knowledge you have of the changing power of the Atonement? I used to hold it, to hide it away. Now, I want to share it, but I am still unsure how. I pray for the day that I may share it with loving boldness with anyone who asks.
I love this Gospel, and the blessings it gives me and my family. I love my Heavenly Father, and my Savior Jesus Christ. I am so blessed to be living where and when I am, and can not even fathom how greatly the Lord's hand plays in my life.
With love to you all,
Elder Strawn
8267 Deseret Ave.
Fair Oaks, CA 95628
gavin.strawn@myldsmail.net

1 comment:

  1. Jesus the Christ FTW. I read it twice during my missionary service.

    ReplyDelete