Monday, October 8, 2012

The Evolution of Dance

The Evolution of Dance!
I just thought of that YouTube video. If you haven't seen it, do. It is very enjoyable.
The reason the title of this blog came to be is because the original title would simply be 'Evolution', which is not a nod to that wondrous sailing ship that docks in Sheboygan's Harbor, as my father may be postulating. No, it is instead a nod to the title of my blog overall; My Metamorphosis. It is how I have come to change, and what those changes are.
First, I was eating less... not very important, but I know that I can do it, which is encouraging. But I am now training to prepare to break our Mission's iHop pancakes record.
Far more important is the change that has taken place of a spiritual nature. I remember writing about General Conference a year ago on this very blog. If you remember, General Conference is the opportunity we have as members of the church, as well as most EVERYONE in the ENTIRE world (except those that are actually cut off from the rest of the world) to hear the testimonies of the prophets of God... and we get to watch it on TV. This would also be the first time that I would watch all 5 sessions available to me, each 2 hours long. Back home, I would consider watching 2 sessions a success, and I would have slept for 20 minutes in both. The very first news, that 2 new temples will be built in Tucson and Peru, was fabulous. The second, however, was groundbreaking; worthy young men in possession of a high school diploma would be eligible to serve a mission at 18 years of age, as opposed to 19, and worthy young women would qualify at 19 instead of 21... what a fantastic announcement. There are so many people that have been anxious to serve sooner than 19, and have been working toward it with eager haste, only to find that they are now qualified individuals. I immediately began to go through numbers in my head trying to determine how many missionaries I believe that we will have by the time I go home, and it is encouraging what I came up with. I can't wait to see my first 18 year old in the Sacramento CA Mission!!!
I worked to focus on, and take notes from, and seek inspiration regarding the talks given (which you will be able to find on www.lds.org). After reviewing them, I was able to discern that what I needed to do was become converted. Over the last few weeks and months, I have been trying to change what I desire. I cannot change who I am, but an interesting point brought up by Bro. Judd from the Lodi 2nd ward is that who we are and what we are can be two very different things. My desires and goals make me what I am. I have difficulty changing that. I, at times, don't want to do what I am told to do by thousands-of-years-dead prophets. I want to do other things. But lately, I have been working on humility. Through that, I am improving on diligence. Through diligence, I find that I am improving in areas of a temporal as well as spiritual nature more easily, because I am more ready to work to change. For those who know me decently well, you may very well know that my goal has been to play football... but since I know that is not a possibility (at least not a likely one at the NFL level), I decided to use my mind to help my team win by becoming a Sports Economist and going into scouting. However, I decided this week that by working in the NFL, I would be limiting myself from the callings I may receive in the Sunday School or Young Men's programs. I would be taking myself away from the opportunity I have to serve and grow my own testimony, so I am now thinking about college level scouting and coaching, as well as teaching. It was not as painful a decision to make as I thought it may be, and I think my life will be blessed by it.
Also, I got to talking to one person about the Plan of Salvation, or the Eternal Plan of Happiness, that allows us to overcome our shortcomings through the Atonement of Jesus Christ and return to live in everlasting life and glory with Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ through faith, repentance, baptism, receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end. The faith that we exhibit as devout and faithful Christians brought to this girl's memory a conversation she had with someone regarding her requirements for her future husband. It was inspiring. Everything she mentioned was about the spiritual devotion her partner must have, and she said that "as I am running toward God I look to the side and he is beside me, and we grab each others hands and run to Him together." I am nowhere near what I consider converted. I am still far too 'human', far too willing to rest upon my goals and my plans as opposed to living up to the expectations our Father in Heaven has for me.
I was able to experience a magnificent thing this week. My companion's tire went flat. Now that is not what is encouraging, but what I love is that I had been up and down that particular street in Lodi 3 times, and there was a man who I had talked to before in his garage, and I kept putting off going back to talk to him, but because Eld. Nethercott's tire went flat, and the 4 people we asked did not have a bike pump, I decided to talk to this man about a bike pump, NOT about the Gospel. As soon as I stepped up and greeted him, he lambasted me for taking my time to come back and talk to him, it having been a little over two weeks since I had been there. He told me he had problems with the church, with RELIGION and to know God we must be like Him, and work with our hands in the earth. He told me to "lose the bike, lose the tie, lose the white shirt, and Work with Your HANDS!!!" I listened earnestly and politely and intently to him for 7 to 9 minutes, then stepped forward, and began to share my testimony of the truthfulness of what he said; we must work. To know God, we must try and emulate Him. The man's scowl left his face and he began to smile. He offered me a chair, and I talked to him about life and the impact faith has on our actions. 30 minutes later, he told me that I was a special spirit, a great person, a loving and caring and unique individual. I need to teach, and counsel, and lead people, but, even more, bear my testimony in how I live my life, not through the words I speak. I agreed largely with what he said to me, and we said a prayer, and this man, who had very recently had three neck and back surgeries, embraced me and told me he loved me.
I had a great need to be encouraged at this point, and I know that I was guided by the Spirit to talk to him. I needed to hear those words, to be uplifted by a man who was upsetting his wife (who we apologized to numerous times) because he was ignoring her birthday to speak to us. I grew that day. I changed that day.
I love my Savior, my Father in Heaven. I love this Gospel and the love I get from Prophets and Apostles. I am so blessed, and I am finding that my family is being blessed as well. I bear my testimony that this work that I am doing every day is work ordained, supported, and aided by God. I cannot do this work alone, but He helps me do His work.
Elder Strawn
8267 Deseret Ave
Fair Oaks CA 95628
gavin.strawn@myldsmail.net

No comments:

Post a Comment