Monday, September 24, 2012

May Need Some New Shoes


This morning I allowed myself the pleasure of another long run. Elder Christensen and I left our companions far behind as we inadvertently found ourselves in the back woods of a Nature Preserve. We were about a mile into it before the No Trespassing signs popped up.We spent 20 minutes trying to find our way out of it, and eventually decided to just go back the way we came instead of trying to swim across the wetlands to where we could see the public trails. We made it back to the church and found our companions there, so we quick took the car (our companions chosen mode of transport) and grabbed a quick bite whereupon I discovered that my shoes are absolutely tattered around the toes. I have torn them up fairly well, and no longer will be running in them, which is sad cause they are AWESOME shoes.

Something that we have seen a lot of the last few weeks is wild cats, and this morning was no exception. It turns out that Elder Christensen was ejected from his high school CC team for carrying a .22 pistol while running and shooting cats and jack rabbits. The coach decided that was not good for the team's image and kicked him off. Elder said that he wished he had his .22 on him this morning, because we see so many of these wild cats all over. We also talked about the fun runs from this weekend. There were two, one on Saturday and the other on Sunday. The fastest times for that race are rarely under 19 minutes (only 1 or 2 under 19 each year between 2009 and 2011) and I heard that the winner this year was not even under 19. I could have won it! Oh well. I am looking at running marathons, and really enjoying the longer runs that Cowboy Christensen and I go on. We are running more often, generally every morning now, and also lifting fairly often, so I am getting in decent shape... now if I could only control how much I eat.
Speaking of eating, I had salmon on Saturday and enjoyed it. I have never really been one for salmon, so having a nice big slab of it and finding out it doesn't taste fishy was a huge bonus. It also was not flaky. So I have now found a fish that I like, which means that I can eat much more healthy food. I did also have a sausage (brat-like, but not as good), a hot dog, and a burger... so not quite healthy. We also had In-N-Out burgers that night, but we had the protein burger, which gives us lettuce instead of a bun. (I talked to some guys at In-N-Out that ran a CC invitational at Angels camp that day, and discovered that I am still probably faster than them.) I have been using a little more protein powder, but it makes it a lot better when I add it into oatmeal or my pancakes. I get protein and I get filled up with good food.
Yesterday was the Church Primary Program. Being a former primary worker, I had a great deal of enjoyment watching them sing and recite scripture and bear their testimony. I sang along silently to most of the songs. I love seeing the happy faces and hearing the giggles of the children and the parents alike. It is such a wonderful day at church. It was also a great way to ease in our new Bishopric. They basically got the day off, making it much less stressful for the first full week they have been a Bishopric. My new companion and I met with Bishop Means this past Friday. He seems very interested in the Ward Mission, and he is still fairly young and spry, so he may continue to be very involved and hands on.
It has been sad having Elder Leavitt gone, and I am also missing Elder Busselberg. Leavitt gave me his memory foam pad for me to use for the rest of my mission. He also gave me the blanket that his ex-girlfriend gave him with specific instructions regarding its future in the mission. He has already been asked by numerous mothers to marry their daughters now that he is back in the Trinity wards.
I am doing a decent job of staying on track to read the Book of Mormon twice more by the end of the year. I figure 5 chapters a day will do it. I started Mosiah this morning. I read through Enos and I still love his story. I have trouble praying for more than 5 minutes. To be able to pray all day is remarkable. He may have started in the afternoon and only prayed until evening, but that is still a few hours more than I could do it. And then he prays for his people. And then he prays for those trying to KILL his people, and LABORS DILIGENTLY to help bring them to God. His is an amazing conversion story, and he has an amazing testimony. I love Enos.
A few odds and ends, now. My new companion is from Poulson, Montana (not sure on the spelling). He is a farm boy. Nice. Fairly quiet. He ALWAYS has candy. He also has the Lord of the Rings soundtrack. I LOVE IT!!!
I saw a sticker in a window that reads "In case of fire, please save my..." and it had a list of pets and animals living within the house that the fire department so rescue. It made me laugh.
We broke the Zone record for baptisms in a month, and we still have a Saturday to go. Way to go LODI!!!
There was an escaped cow roaming the streets of Lodi Saturday night. We could not find it, despite Cowboys best efforts to do so.
Love and other affections to all!
Elder Gavin Strawn
8267 Deseret Avenue
Fair Oaks CA 95628
gavin.strawn@myldsmail.net

No comments:

Post a Comment