Tuesday, September 18, 2012

The Dawn of a New Era!

Nephew Samson knows which way to go.
I need to begin at the end. Monday night, September 17th, 2012, Elder Leavitt, a Zone Leader in the Lodi Zone, California Sacramento Mission, was transferred. He is going to the very area I hoped I would be going, an area called the Trinity, because it is three congregations served by one set of missionaries. The reason I wish to go there is simple: Austin Collie, Wide Receiver for the Indianapolis Colts and former standout for BYU, lives there. So does his family. I know I have mentioned it before, but I do want to serve there. Also, my companion, Elder Busselberg, will be going to Georgetown, CA. They will both be greatly missed in our apartment.
On a more positive note, I was asked to take part in a 9/11 commemoration in Lodi this past Tuesday. I was told I would be giving a prayer, but it turned out I was supposed to address those assembled individuals in the Legion Hall about my memories of 9/11, the impact it had on me and my outlook for the future... I was unprepared, but a Jewish Rabbi told me that he was very touched by my words and the sincerety I spoke with. He took Elder Busselberg and me out to lunch at Dennys. I had a delicious burger. Oh, and I made it into the paper (http://www.lodinews.com/news/article_b9fffcfa-5a08-53d4-9c5f-df7fd2912988.html).
I need to say that I enjoy wearing my Tau Kappa Epsilon shorts when I go running or workout. So many people stare at my knee and ask "what does 'tech' mean?" and I have the opportunity to talk about the fraternity. It reminds me a great deal of things I left behind, but not with a sorrowful longing for the past, but with a brightness of hope for the future.
I have been loosely informed of some of the dangerous happenings in the world as of late. Many people enjoy telling us that the world is coming to an end, that these are the end times... and I am not saying they aren't...but I really hope to have a college degree when the world ends, simply so that I know that I didn't waste three years of my life...but really, I would not consider it a waste. I enjoyed those three years so much, and have many wonderous memories of St. Norbert College. I eagerly anticipate returning to its lovely, riverside campus and completing my education with Reed and Grant, the only two people I know of who will  still be there since they graduate in 2015 (unless they work hard and leave early).
I have been working very hard lately... well, harder than before at least. I am still not to the brink, but it is stressful. A great thing about it is I am finding more information about the Gospel. There are two fabulous videos on Mormon Channel on YouTube. One is "Patterns of Light" by David A. Bednar, a wonderful series of three short videos that explain the Spirit of Christ and receiving direction from the Holy Ghost. The other is a talk by Jefferey R. Holland entitled "Staying Within the Lines". He speaks on the dangers and impacts that sexual sin have on people, but the message is more far reaching than that. He speaks with power on the battle between us, as children of God, and Satan, a real being whose mission is to destroy all hope you have for the future. Any allowance we give Satan to operate in our lives can lead to catastrophic consequences.
Also, I would like to extend an invitation to ALL of you who are LDS, as well as to all who are not: Get a copy of the Book of Mormon, ask a question you have always had about the Gospel, or the Church, or the nature of Christ, and then read at least one chapter every day and underline everything you find that answers your question. I promise you will learn so much. If you do this prayerfully, you will feel the Spirit testify to you. Also, just a fun numerical fact: if you were to read 2 chapters of the Book of Mormon, one in the morning and one at night, every day from the time you were 10 until you could no longer see those small words at age 90, you would have read the Book of Mormon 240 TIMES!!!... that's 3 times a year. And it is so easy. Just do it! It's simple, and it is so powerful.
I would like to end with a very fun story. A member in our ward, Bro. Lance, served his mission in Dublin. His departing interview with the Mission President went something like this...
Mission Pres: So, are you ready to go home?
Bro Lance: Not yet.
MP:Well I have one more challenge for you before you leave tomorrow.
BL: Okay
MP: When you arrive at your home airport, and before you see your family again, I want you to do something.
BL: Place a Book of Mormon, right?
MP: No. I want you to walk up to the most beautiful girl in the airport, and say "Hi, my name is Elder Lance. I am a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I have not kissed a girl in two years. Would you like to be the first?"
BL: (absolute stunned silence)
The point was not to kiss her, but to get over the hump of talking to girls. I just loved the story though.
Take care all!!
Elder Gavin Strawn
8267 Deseret Ave
Fair Oaks CA 95628

No comments:

Post a Comment