Monday, September 10, 2012

The difference...

I went to church yesterday on a big rush. I had finished reading the Book of Mormon again. I had received such wonderful revelation and inspiration from it, and was so excited. It was slightly dampened through out the day by the numerous 49ers fans I go to church with. They continually updated me on the game, and eventually my Ward Mission Leader got in touch with me to inform me of the Packers loss... and yet I was ok with it. It hurts a little bit, I still love the Pack, but I think I have changed.
I am really trying to allow the scriptures to change me, to allow my service to others to change my desires. I love it out here. California is not Wisconsin. My family is hours away at the closest (love you Tommy!) and across the whole country from me (you're a scumbag Brando!!). I want to see my little nephew walking (or swimming, whichever comes first). The milk here does not taste as good to me. The cheese is not as yummy. The days are getting much shorter (a world wide thing, not a Cali thing). People have returned to college. The steak is a little tougher out here. The weather is hotter. I never see bodies of water. There are fewer trees. There are PALM trees. I haven't run on a track in 4 months. I missed all the wonderful birthday wishes that my mom tells me I received on my facebook wall, and I look forward to seeing them when I get home in time for my 25th birthday. I live with 3 other guys, and my bunk bed squeaks with most every adjustment. I gained 8 pounds this week. It has not rained more than a slight drizzle for three minutes. I can't keep updated on everything going on in the NFL. And yet I love it here so much. It is not home, and yet I am at home here.
This has been a wonderful week, and what made it very great for me is that it was very basic, very unmemorable, and yet it meant so much to me to work with and get to know and meet the people I did this week.
My love goes out to you all.
Elder Gavin Strawn
8267 Deseret Ave
Fair Oaks CA 95628
gavin.strawn@myldsmail.net

1 comment:

  1. Kid sounds like a missionary to me. You've found your home away from home.

    ReplyDelete