Monday, July 30, 2012

That's the sound of the men workin' on the chain gang!


As much as I enjoy being new to the mission, not having the responsibilities expected of those District Leaders and Zone Leaders, or the office Elders/Sisters, or the Assistants to the President, etc., it does kinda stink to go from college senior to missionary greenie... oddly enough, that has not really happened to any real degree. The Elders I live with are awesome. They are all so close to being done with their two years, and they change everyday. Sometimes they are super excited about going home, then afraid, talk about college, then talk about how they are going to miss tracting, mention jobs they have back home, then wish they could just stay out in the field for the rest of their lives. Almost every one, though, talks about the increase in fat that they have very lovingly developed over the last 18 to 23 months, and the desire they have to separate themselves from it.
So, I set them working. We yo-yo'd between attempts at dieting, but now they are starting to crack down a little more. We run 3 to 4 times a week, and are upping that to 5 times for this week. We are eating eggs like they are going out of style (which they might very well be. The price of 5 dozen eggs was 5.99 two weeks ago, and 7.98 today). We are turning down seconds (or maybe turning down thirds and fourths and fifths in my case) and desserts. Collectively, we lost 20 pounds in a week. That is an average of 5 pounds a person. BOOM!!! Elder Leavitt is the most serious about it, though. He came out in great shape and at 175. Now, he is a bit flabby and was over 190 two weeks ago. I'm back under 180 consistently. My companion... he just does whatever. Elder Holmes goes home in 10 days, so he did a special work out with me this morning.
I have not been on a nice long run in over two months. I could feel myself getting antsy, my legs ached a little bit, and I was foggy minded and distracted. I went around the apartment last night and asked the other Elders if they wanted to go biking this morning. Elder Holmes agreed, and after a light amount of rice and a small taco, I laced up, and walked outside. Elder Holmes biked alongside me as I ran, and ran. It was one of the better runs I have been on. I felt good, I felt strong. I didn't feel 180 pounds. I felt like I was a frosh again; 165 pounds and fast. We left the apartment just after 7, and got back just before 9. We ran around a nature trail at Lodi Lake, and I finally saw an Eastern Gray Squirrel, the first one I have seen in 2 months, as well as a doe, a young 3 point buck, and a strapping 6 point buck who leapt across the moss covered creek. I love deer. They are so graceful, so majestic.
Well, anyway, total running time; 1:39:39.56. Total distance, 13 miles (according to my ruler measurements), 12.6 miles (according to map directions with guesstimations for the park I ran around) or 14.2 miles (according to my mile pace at mile 12ish spaced out for the whole run). So lets just say a half marathon in 100 minutes. And I was still feeling pretty good! The balls of my feet hurt a bit, my knees ached a little bit, and there was a slight tightness in my neck, but my legs were good, my calves felt fine, my hammies were strong, and I was talking with Elder Holmes for much of the time.
Speaking of Elder Holmes, I will miss him. He has been such fun over these last 5 weeks. He is a good guy, fun, and I will miss his presence in our apartment. He goes back to Utah next week, and I may not see him again on this earthly realm. Great luck to you Elder! Hurrah for Israel!!!*
The Work in the mission field has been going great as well. We are teaching a number of investigators, people very interested in learning, growing in the Gospel, increasing their faith and testimony, and feeling the Spirit work within them. It is AWESOME to share the love that I feel from Christ with these wonderful people. I can feel my love for them growing. I love the people of California, and waved and said hi to everyone that I saw this morning.
I read the Book of Mormon yesterday (meaning the book Mormon wrote within the Book of Mormon, a total of 9 chapters), and I love it. It is heart wrenching to read of the loss of faith these people had, and the sorrows and fall that they have. I have been so richly blessed, and if I every become swallowed up in the pride of my own heart, will any one of you please follow the example of Katherine Heigel's friend in 27 Dresses, and just step up and slap me... not too hard, though, if you please.
Love to all, take care, please write!
Elder Strawn
8267 Deseret Ave
Fair Oaks, CA, 95628
*Watch 'The Other Side of Heaven'. I cry every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment