Tuesday, July 24, 2012

The Best Seven Days


What a week. In the last seven days, I have had tons of fun, lost weight, served in 3 areas, and seen miracles. I have grown and changed so much in the last week, and received more letters from home than the previous 40 days. I was having a trying time, and this week I have been lifted up with joy and love.
My work week began last Monday evening. We progressed through our list of appointments and had minimal success. It did little to raise my spirits, which had begun to sink a little as of late. The following day, we lost a good deal of time because we stopped over at the hospital so that my companion could get his shoulder checked out. It had popped out of place before and it was giving him pain, and a 2 hour doctors appointment later we were told he would be taking physical therapy twice a week for 4 weeks. Another block of time was taken away from us. We checked in with a few more investigators, but due to work induced fatigue and overly-protective-and-other-religion-fearing spouses, we were unable to teach anyone in our afternoon schedule. We went to dinner with a bit of a heavy heart, but left with a full stomach (which does wonders for one's optimism, though tends to have a negative effect on enthusiasm to work). We hopped on our bikes and headed home to call anyone we could, and were eventually able to acquire a member to attend a lesson with us.
We arrived at our lesson to meet two new individuals in addition to the two we were planning on teaching. We began by teaching the less active member, but as the lesson drew on, the others began to migrate into the living room, and we ended by teaching all four of them. One was very touched by the spirit and, at the end of the lesson, and with sadness and reverence evidence in his manner and speech, told us about his recent family plights, and asked us to pray with him. We did so, and he quickly set a time for us to come back. I spent the next day in another area (Galt, 15 or so miles north), and met so many friendly and wonderful people. I was encouraged by the work we did, and returned to Lodi with an uplifted heart.
We taught the family again, and by the end of the lesson, we challenged the two non-members to baptism, and they eagerly accepted. It was wonderful to see the joy in their eyes, to see the evidence of the Spirit working with them. I was overjoyed at the anticipation on their faces as they set another appointment for the very next day. 
The next day, I was again on exchanges, this time with my Zone Leader. Though we had gotten no opportunities to teach all morning (we did weekly planning until lunch, then we to therapy for my companion), Elder Leavitt and I quickly transitioned into work mode. We stopped by and visited four investigators, and did a quick service project for one, and taught a lesson, then again provided a service for the last investigator. They were all so happy. We headed out to dinner at a member's house, and had a quick birthday celebration with the son before the party started, then headed back into town to teach the Restoration to a non-member family. The woman had read a pamphlet on the restoration, and had numerous questions. We were able to teach what she needed to hear, spoke to her worries, and enlightened her mind to the teachings of Christ. She was so filled with joy, and when Elder Leavitt asked if she wanted a ride to church on Sunday, she said they would need five seats, because she was bringing her two kids, her dad, and her fiance. It was a wonderful day.
On Saturday, Elder Busselberg and I were back together, and we were able to see one of our investigators, who had been out of town for a week. We watched Prophet of the Restoration with him, and invited him to church the next day. I love that movie. It is so stirring, so inspiring. I cry every time I watch the movie. Elder Busselberg and I also had a sit down to discuss the direction of the companionship, and we progressed quite a bit in our understanding of each other. It was a good day. On Sunday, 7 non members showed up to our ward (as well as 5 for our Zone Leaders). It was the first time that an investigator had been to church in the last month and a half. It was such a blessing for us, and gave us a boost to work harder this week to keep up that success.
I love this church. I love teaching the Gospel to those that I meet. I love the class at church that we teach to the Young Single Adults group. So many of them are going through mission prep, or college. It is wonderful to see them working hard in a good cause. I have seen such a change in me since I have been set apart as a missionary, and I am happier and healthier in so many ways. I love this time that I have to give back to the Lord. I thank those that have extended their help, their assistance, their time, their letters, their emails, and any other way that they encourage this great, noble, marvelous work. I love you!!!
Elder Strawn
8267 Deseret Avenue
Fair Oaks, CA 95628

No comments:

Post a Comment