Monday, July 9, 2012

What you mean they don't eat no meat?!?!?!... that's okay, I make lamb.


I shall tell a tale. This tale is not for the faint of heart. It is a story of struggle, of mauled flesh and red stained foliage. It is a story... of the first time I ate at In-N-Out burger. I was with Elder Lawrence, a spindly man of 19 and a half years with a narrow face an pointed nose. He is a worker of steel, and an accomplished wrestler. He was my temporary companion and my Leader, Elder Busselberg, traveled to the land of Sacramento to be taught by the sages of the mission. Lawrence and I walked mile after mile, trudging our way through heat and noise across the (not so) vast expanse of Lodi. for hours we toiled along winding roads, talking to all who we passed. We found ourselves at the corner of Lower Sacramento and Kettleman, and looked up to see an In-N-Out restaurant. Looking at our watches, we found that the time had eclipsed midday, so we eagerly walked into the vaulted chamber, and stepped up the the serving girl, and placed an order of 3 by 3 burgers with cheese, pickles, onions, and Animal styles on the side. We slathered our food with ketchup, sinking our teeth into the warm meat and devouring the fries with fork in hand. Afterward, Lawrence and I turned to one another, and I said "Johnsonville Brats are better." Now don't get me wrong, it was good. But I desire a feast of flesh still steaming from the Palenske's grill.


Lodi is still doing well. The temps are going over a hundred, so I keep finding my tongue lolling out and covering my tie. My companion has even stopped wearing his hair piece, it's so hot. There are a number of places to stop for drinks, though. The members are nice and supportive, so we are well watered, though they tend to just put a bowl outside for us to lap from... actually, come to think of it, those bowls may be for their dogs...
I have been yo-yoing on my dieting. We have eggs every day for breakfast, and I tend to have refried beans and salsa with eggs for lunch. Dinners we tend to go to member's houses where they very graciously set us a spot at their tables. On Friday, we have pizza and cookie dough for lunch and dinner... not very healthy. Although they do have a Chili's deal that we employ for lunch were it is unlimited Soup & Salad for $7. Not to bad for someone who generally eats $16 worth of soup and $9 worth of salads.
Everyone in my apartment looks to me to get them in shape, but then they don't want to run in the morning (to be honest, though, I don't really want to either). This morning, I went running with Elder Holmes, who is a month away from going home. I think I almost sent him home early. He was bent over double heaving and huffing half way into our run. I don't think having him go through wind sprints with me was a great idea for his first workout in 2 months. Tomorrow, I'm making the rest of the apartment work out with me.
I'm getting a pretty nice farmer's tan. My forearms are the reddish brown color of burnt clay, and my shoulder is a pasty white of white guy skin. I started wearing my watch dangling from my backpack strap instead of on my wrist simply so that I don't get that tan line. 
I'm thinking about buying two nerf guns...
Anyway, look forward to hearing from people (gavin.strawn@myldsmail.net or the mailing address below), and I shall respond ASAP. Take care, and Stay Classy!!!
Elder Strawn
8267 Deseret Ave
Fair Oaks, CA, 95628

No comments:

Post a Comment