Tuesday, August 7, 2012

The hot, the gluttonous, and the painful

To start out, this is in apology to Allison Theune. I forgot to add my birthday wishes to you in my response to the letter you sent me, so here is to hoping that you had a marvelous and wonderful 22nd b-day. (You too, Spencer)
This past week has been quite a time for our mission. I have been on exchanges (where senior missionaries trade places for a day so that they can observe one's conduct) multiple times in the last 8 days. Due to this, I have gotten to see a more diverse investigator pool in addition to working with missionaries that I hardly ever get to see. My appreciation is growing for every ward that I am visiting as a missionary. The members are kind and loving.
Also, my host for dinner last Wednesday night had a small farm. Elder Stradling, my companion for the day, and I braved the 106 degree weather to tour the small area. The Richardsons have a number or Pyngora sheep, a combination of Angora and Pygmy sheep, as well as 20 chickens of three various breeds. They also have some goats. We had a great time and I now, once I get home of course, would like to get chickens. I would eat about 12 eggs for breakfast each day in college and it may be cheaper to just raise my own.
Adding to the gluttony, I put down 15 tacos last night at a member's house. He was excited to have a large portion of the Zone eating at his house, and I out ate all the others. I was allowed to take home a bag of candy for my efforts, adding to the size of my waistline. We also eat at either Chili's or King China Buffet for lunch on Thursdays, and I usually put away 4 bowls of soup and 2 salads at Chili's. I am not gaining much weight, thank goodness, but if I am ever out of a biking area I am going to have to change my ways or change my wardrobe.
Also, last week, mere hours after finishing my long run, Elder Holmes knee slammed into my right thigh as we were playing basketball. I received a deep thigh bruise and could barely walk for the next 4 days, so I spent some time in a car, and then hobbled for a while. To add to my misery this week, my broken collar bone flared up with pain last night. I could not get to sleep before 4 last night.
But, far outweighing the negative pains I have experienced, we have been teaching and they have been learning. One family is doing especially well. They are enjoying church a great deal and everyone wants to get baptized. It is so exciting to be a part of this family's journey. I am so gald that they are willing to and wanting to and eager to take these steps.
As football season begins, I am feeling out of the loop, a little lost, and somewaht sad. But over the last 2 weeks I have been thinking of football less and less and dwelling more and more on what I studied that morning in the Book of Mormon, or thinking about how I can help teach an investigator, or what I can do to be a better companion and apartment mate. I am beginning to change my self. I also like myself better now.
Hugs and high fives to all of you.
Elder Strawn
8267 Deseret Ave
Fair Oaks, CA, 95628

No comments:

Post a Comment