Wednesday, October 30, 2013

I have finally started!

First thing to be written is the latest to happen. For years I have been contemplating digitally scanning all my journal entries and keeping them stored that way as well as the physical copy I have. So this morning, a day in which I will have no class due to student advisement for course selection for next semester, I began to do just that. I scanned in nearly two years of entries, though I was hardly journaling over those two years, and I also scanned in the inserts (sometimes I write on little sheets of paper and put those in my journal) all the way up to March 4th, 2013. For me, properly using technology in and of itself is quite an accomplishment. As I was finishing up for the day, an elderly man came over and asked if I was using the scanner. Immediately feeling insecure for inconveniencing someone else, I told him I was just finishing up. He said not to worry, and we ended up chatting for about 15 minutes about how school (he is a retired Doc, and studying a Masters of Theology here at SNC) and life and the future. It was really interesting.
My second story involves my Christianity and Cultural Diversity class. We were in the process of discussing revelation, and truth. Prof. Brecht reiterated the teachings of a theologian stating that if we accept something as revelation, we must also accept it is true. She expounded saying that in order to accept a revelation, we must therefore live it. Using me as an example to illustrate observation versus experience, she said that she knew me; my name, that I am open, intelligent, friendly and a Mormon. Sitting there in my purple suspenders and bow tie and Calvin Klein shirt, I gently waved from my back corner of the class room as people turned to look at me. She then stated that, even knowing that, she really doesn't understand me at all; what are my deepest hopes, fears, and dreams? What was I like as a child? How do I get along with my girlfriend? It was this last statement, that caused me to burst out a partially stifled laugh. Prof. Brecht looked up at me and asked "Is there something inherently wrong about that question?" I responded, as thoughts of how often my mom makes fun of how remarkably single I have been for nearly three years, while crossing my legs and gently waving my hand like a Jane Austin character attempting to 'poo-poo' a subject "Yes, but don't worry about it." Less than a second later, I realized the absolute femininity of my response, at which point I turned to my fraternity brother sitting next to me and whispered, complete with unintended lisping and a higher than normal octave "Oh my gosh, I think she thinks I'm gay now!" I had a pretty dang good laugh about it for the rest of the day. It was a really fun way to start my day!
Continuing along the lines of fun Professor stories, my Econ Professor, and my adviser, was writing up on the board regarding how theory and application of international trade do not always (and actually hardly ever) reflect each other. He wrote "increasing tariffs can like start a tariff war." The entire class, as they copied the words into their notes, started to laugh. I read the sentence out loud in a complete Valley Girl voice, and Marc, a French born German immigrant, started laughing along with us. He continued the lesson, and even used an example. He turned to a starting defensive lineman for the St. Norbert football team and said "If I slap Dan in the face, what would he do" Without skipping a beat, I responded "Kill you." Dan just leaned back in his chair with a smile as the class again broke out laughing. It may have been the most fun I have had in a class.
My workouts continue to progress. Just the other day, my cousin joined us, and the workout was tough enough that a) he puked (SCORE!!!) b) he asked me the next day if he should be so sore that he can't move c) I was sore. This is new for me. I am consistently sore following these workouts, and I do not know why. Although, I did increase my three rep max on Squat from 185lbs to 275lbs over a week... probably simply because I haven't done squat since 2009. Oh well, big PR for me! Also, the sprints are kinda fun, but definitely challenging.
Oh, since it is advisement day, I think I should probably talk about class selection. Firstly, I hate the Gen Ed Program. It is sooooooo freakin' upsetting! Second, continuing with Gen Eds, I hate having to take a science lab. Most people get this done in their freshman, maybe sophomore year. I am finishing it my very last semester of college.Which brings up point C... point Three.. point Thirdly?... anyway, I have been able to efficiently plan my course studies to allow me to graduate following my standard 8 semesters of collegiate studies. These semesters included an over abundance of near useless classes, including some overdose of social science classes and three gym classes. But, baring any failures, I will have a degree in hand come the end of May. Boom sticks!!!
Now, to throw in my football section, for some bad news. The Mariners fell at home to the Untouchables on Saturday. The officiating was absolutely horrendous. The two biggest calls were for a touchdown for the Untouchables where the receiver obviously pushed off, AND only had one foot come down in bounds, but they called it a TD. Second, following an INT overturned by penalty, after using the WR screen effectively most of the game, out DB broke perfectly on the play, picked the ball off, and ran it in for a TD. As he was running down, a flag came out. They called illegal hands to the face, gave the ball back and gave them 15 yards. No one even knows who the call was against. Oh, well, on to next season.
BYU beat Boise state, too. That looked like a dang good game! And in less than two weeks, BYU at Madison. I can't wait to go to Camp Randall!!
Also, ENDER'S GAME COMES OUT THIS WEEK!!!!!! OMIGOSH OMIGOSH OMIGOSH!!!!!!
And on that overly subdued note, good day to you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment