Sunday, September 15, 2013

The Football Fantasy

I'm afraid I may be that guy. I am trying to view every game through the minute statistics that govern the games that millions of Americans play every week. Fantasy football has driven our culture to think it is a failure for a QB to throw for fewer than 300 yards and 3 TDs because we wont get the 30 points we're hoping for. If a running back cruises for 98 yards, we throw a fit because we need the bonus points for those next 2 yards putting them over 100. I am currently sitting in front of a computer hoping that Vernon Davis gets at least 15.93 points more than Russell Wilson (who I am also trying to trade for) while bemoaning Trent Richardson getting less than 8 points the same weekend my opponent had three pass catchers combine for a smidge over 83 points. Do I need to get angry? Do I have any control over this? Nope. Do I need to get angry that the Packers middle of the field is horrible porous? Can't do anything about it, so why get angry? Can I learn to catch a football better? YES! Can I stretch my hamstrings so they stop giving me fits, develop the quad muscles needed for quick start-stop explosive power? Indeed I can. Can I I work on developing quicker feet, leading to faster physical reaction to a hole in the defensive line? Absolutely. And yet, I continue to sit, changing tabs every minute or so hoping that by keeping myself locked into the game, I will somehow help bring my team victory. I have no impact on their lives, though. I do have a book to read, though. Five actually (I am adding Atlas Shrugged to the list because I want to read it after the conclusion of my research paper). And a couple text books and articles on the Cold War. That impacts my life. Let's give that a try. So here is the deal. I am posting this blog, then closing out of my fantasy tab, walking away from the computer, and spending the night reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment