Monday, September 9, 2013

Research and Running

I have found that it is very difficult to read a book while running. I did it on my first cross country course my freshman year of high school, but I can't think of a specific time since then. For that matter, it is rather difficult to read most anything while exhausting oneself by way of a sweat pouring workout. This is not good news for the masses of former high school standout athletes who are no longer a part of well structured and organized teams. They are now in charge of their own personal scheduling, and for the large portion of this group that goes to college, school work is more pressing than getting in the 20 minutes in the gym. And, let's face it, school work isn't very high on the list either. For me, I was very slack in getting in my work outs my first two weeks being back at college. This was particularly bad news given that I had signed up for a Tough Mudder to take place at the end of the second week of classes. I am pleased to announce that it was a rousing success, as far as I am concerned, and very much so look forward to doing more in the future. However, I noticed significant degradation in a number of measurable categories of fitness. So what can be done about the lack of time most people seem to feel they have?
I for one was left to choose between reading the text books for my class discussions, compiling a research bibliography, reviewing economics journals, deciphering the theological rants of staunch Jews and Christians, and reviewing the course syllabus for a new instructor and giving my advice on the challenges and strong points of the layout of the class versus trying to find a convenient time and place to soak the floor in sweat. By doing the former, I get to spend more time on the ever distracting internet. I get to stream Gaelic Storm via youtube. I get to check my fantasy teams and update my monotonous life on facebook and blogspot. I can hop over to the little 'bistro' they have in the library and get my snack on. The options seem much more varied by going to 'study' as opposed to going to work out.
The best solution I have found is a workout based around breakfast. For me, I do not have motivation to get up until 7 am because the cafeteria doesn't open up until 715. However, when I have someone to workout with, my determination to rise early increases substantially. And then it simply depends on your desires; strength gain? 3x3-5 on the bench (or variations thereof) and the same on the deadlift. Total workout is 25 minutes. For more toning and weight loss, a 3 set circuit working predominantly with kettlebells and dumbbells. Focusing solely on cardio? Bike sprints (30secs sprint, 90 seconds relaxed pace. 8 reps), or treadmill tabata (9-11mph, 10-15 degree incline. Run 20 seconds, then hop onto the side rails for 10 seconds. 10-20 reps). Total time is usually not more than 20 minutes. Full body training for most any activity? Pick 3 heavy weight exercises, 3 body weight, and three high rep variations of workouts, and then cycle through each one 2 or 3 times with a sprint between each exercise. 20 minutes.
So, for me, this begs the question; anyone busy mornings?

No comments:

Post a Comment