Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Not Quite a Confession of a Not Really Shopaholic

I think I may have become an online shopping junkie. I have spent such a great deal of time perusing Amazon, and eBay now has a large selection of buy it now items that operates very much like a far more sketchy Amazon. Due to this, I have spent over $200 since Christmas on these two sites alone. I have also planned spending as far ahead as the end of March. I continually find things that are of great interest to me on these sites that have NO USE OR ACTUAL WORTH!!! It’s so very similar to window shopping, but far easier, and without the guarantee that the clothes will fit. You can effortlessly flit from an electronics store to an auto shop to toiletries to whatever else you so choose. It is not for me… because I like it way too much and find it far too enticing.
My standard technique for not spending money is simple; leave my debit card at home when I go to work. No problem! By doing this, I never use my debit card. But when I am at work and what something to munch on, a complication arises; I work in a grocery store, so even if I have cash on me, the constant smells and the allure of the Snickers bar a mere 40 yards away from me proves to overpower my weak self control. Solution # 2; leave my wallet at home. BOOM!!! No cash, no card, no spending, right? WRONG! I work at a BANK in a grocery store. This means I can get money whenever I need it, meaning that I can always buy that tasty, diet killing snack. But wait, there’s more! We do not get a great deal of customers here at Associated Bank, Sheboygan Festival Foods, so I spend a great deal of time on the computer. When I become overborne with tutorials and online classes and organizing the back room, I turn to the internet and find that if I log into my Amazon or eBay account at work, MY DEBIT CARD IS ALREADY POSTED!!! The fact that I left my card at home has no hindrance to capping my spending. So now I am fat AND broke… a bad combination.
SO I have tried some new techniques. I transfer all my money into my account that doesn’t have the debit card… oh wait, I work at a bank that instantly transfers money. Okay, I tell my employees to not transfer my money when I ask while at work, and also to not allow me to do a withdrawal. Done deal! Oh, I have online banking that allows me to transfer funds between my accounts at my whim, loading money back onto my debit card in the blink of an eye. So now I am only broke, but no longer fat. How do I stop spending the rest of my money on the internet?
I stumbled across this possibility by accident. I was pulling money out of my account in preparation to go to Arizona at the beginning of December, and then found myself in Fond Du Lac craving a burger and ice cream… Culvers, anyone? So I decided to drive over and get me my fix, when a thought popped into my head; how much money is on my card? I could not say for certain, having pulled out my cash to take to Phoenix and not really knowing what my account was at before and since I had to buy gas to get to Fondy, as well as Milwaukee on two separate occasions that week… well, the burger isn’t worth maybe over drafting my account. Finally! A great solution. If you suffer from buy-crap-at-random syndrome, and do not have a good enough interest rate at your bank to offset the risk spending your money, then I suggest pulling it out, and hiding it under your mattress. Except for the mattress part, that is what I have done. It works!... most of the time at least…
Now what am I to do with this new jacket I didn’t really need…

No comments:

Post a Comment