Tuesday, August 21, 2012

I don't love cats (Mom's title, not Gavin's, because Gavin's was lame and had nothing to do with the post.)

I will tell you of a cat. He is a nice cat, but he was feeling a little down. He had begun to not hold down any of his food, and would sleep more than usual. While the missionaries were at his home, his brother sneaked over, due to everyone's attention being on our sickly main character, and widdled all over our friendly neighborhood missionary's wonderful Northface back pack. Yes, it smells of severe cat pee now. To end a sad story with an even sadder finish, our poor cat friend passed away Friday night. The missionaries were called over and the human servants to the cat asked them if they would pray.
So I think that means that I led a eulogy for a cat. It was a sad time, though (not simply because of my back pack). I will be getting my back pack cleaned with vinegar.
Also over by that family (who lost their cat to an early demise) Busselberg and I saw an individual on a long board. He was very relaxedly going down the street, and I thought to myself "I wish I could just have no cares, go about with an easy life, not worrying about-" when my thoughts were cut short by a slight crack. I looked over to see this individual go flying as his board hit a crack in the sidewalk, and he lays out and road rashed his side. I then thought "I gotcha, God. I will focus on the work."
Speaking of the work, SO GOOD!!!! There will be more on that next week, because I do not want to give anything away.
There was a welcome home potluck for two missionaries from our ward this week. One served in Jackson, MI, and the other in Tokyo. The one from Jackson tracted (where missionaries simply walk around and talk to everyone and knock on doors) into Brett Favre... and did not have any idea who he was. He also met Karl Malone. Pretty cool. The food there was great, too.
I am making fairly good progress on the Book of Mormon. I know that if I read 10 chapters a day, I will read the entire Book in a month. That is only about 20 pages a day, which is not at all hard when it is a novel, but scripture is different. It is a bit harder to keep my eyes open, but I am also underlining and taking notes, and that stretched the time out a little bit at well. I hope to read the Book of Mormon all the way through at least twice a year, and maybe even more often as a missionary.
Tomorrow, we have Zone Conference. For those who do not know, the church is pretty well organized. A congregation, an area where the members meet every week for Sunday service, is called Ward or a Branch, depending on the size (ward is larger). Many wards (and/or branches) make up a Stake. There are over 2700 stakes in the world. The missionary work is split up throughout the world in 341 missions, with over 50000 missionaries. Each mission is separated into Zones, and then Districts, and then area. I serve in the Lodi 1st area of the Lodi 1st, English District in the Lodi Zone. There are 13 Zones in my mission. So, getting back to the point, we are meeting with 4 Zones tomorrow. It will be agrand ol' time, but it means that the rest of tonight, I will be setting up our church building to house 150 missionaries and leaders. So Fun!!!
A big shout out to Brian Curran and Libby Wissing, as well as my co-workers form Associated Bank. I got letters from them this week. Also got a package from the Palenskes. What I now know is that it takes at least 10 days for letters to get from you, the sender, to me. Both BC and Libby's letters were written in very early August/late July. So please forgive me if I am slow to respond. I just may not have gotten it yet.
I love my family, my friends, this gospel, this work. I love my Heavenly Father, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost.
Take care, and God bless.
Elder Strawn
8267 Deseret Ave
Fair Oaks, CA 95628
gavin.strawn@myldsmail.net

No comments:

Post a Comment