Monday, January 11, 2016

Dom Capers and the Suffocating Defense: Part II of III

The defense played well. Heck, they got six sacks on a guy who only went down 26 times during the regular season. He was sacked 5 times against Carolina, a 16-44 defeat. 
However, I saw too many glaring errors. On the first touchdown of the game, on a third and 10 from the 24 yard line (obvious passing down; go for broke on a pass. If it is incomplete, or even sacked, you are still in FG range). Prior to the snap, I see Safety Clinton-Dix charge down tot he line to take man coverage against a wide receiver. I mumble something along the lines of "losing safety coverage on third down? What the-" but before an expletive could escape my mouth, the ball was snapped. I knew what the play was going to be. You have Jordan Reed. I run this play five times a game in Madden. Run the TE up the seam, and maybe cut him in toward the middle of the field to gain a touch more separation from the defender. Easy touchdown.
When the Redskins lined up in the red zone with no one in the backfield, I called QB draw. It was a good pick by McVay. Sure enough, 3rd and goal from the three, the Redskins put 4 wide left, one wide right. The corners are lined up in the line, the safeties and a LB lined up deep. Micah Hyde is playing middle linebacker. At the snap, Burnett cuts to the outside to cover Jordan Reed, the lone right side receiver, who also has Damarious Randall in press coverage on him. The line rushes upfield, lanes are made, and Cousins walks in. I immediately berate the defensive call. My mom challenges me on it, and I quickly explain I would have put Burnett just behind the lineman, a yard or two off the line playing in a 4-3 OLB position. Randall should have played off and slightly inside Reed. If it was a pass play, Burnett covers anything to Reed short and inside Randall. Randall as the corner fade route covered, and anything deep. It also works against the run, as Burnett would have been clear of blockers behind the two D lineman in front of him, and free to make the tackle. 
Again, I think our defense played very well over all. However, it was against the Redskins. It is time to look at the Cardinals. 

No comments:

Post a Comment