Friday, February 22, 2013

The weather in London must be something like this

I’m late on this post. So much for trying to get these posted on Monday or Tuesday. I must say, though, that this weather is doing almost nothing positive for me. The walk in to work last Thursday was very pleasant, but since that time forth it has been naught but infuriating. A wonderful warm spell is ruined by cold rain, wind is whipping around us on days when it isn’t too cold or there isn’t some form of rain or snow, ruining those other wise pleasant enough days, and then everything is freezing. There is so much ice on the sidewalks, and I simply cannot run to work with it all underfoot. It is slippery enough for just walking around. I was afraid of tearing my knee apart today. I tell ya, it’s no good.I constantly think this is similar to the British Isles (or a box of chocolates); you never know what you're gonna get.
Good thing we had football practice indoors. It was a ton of fun, too. We had a series of position drills for 2 hours on Saturday night. I learned a bit about the offensive playbook, and got to run out at wide receiver, inside at the slot receiver, as well as playing halfback and full back. I got to do some runs up the gut, but most of what we ran was the passing game. On one play, our QB threw a little higher than he intended and it bounced off our tight ends hands, but I cut underneath my route and caught it on the deflection behind coverage. On another play, I was lined up out wide against press coverage and our veteran running back dropped into the QB position (WILDCAT!!!) and took the snap. I beat the press, got deep on a skinny post, and the pass went wide to the left sideline, and was underthrown, I cut back to get underneath it, out jumped the safety, and snagged the ball out of the air and took it all the way. Those were my really good plays. I did mess up a few times (one wrong route, and one false start), but overall I did better than I was expecting of myself.
Now to the topic that is consuming the most of my thought/time at the present; I am looking at buying a car. I had been looking before, but kinda gave up a little bit. Now I am back in the race. There is an old Subaru I’m looking at, but online prices range from 2700 to 900, and he’s asking 2500 for it, but willing to settle for 2000. If it was a dealer, I would go for the 2000, but seeing as he is simply selling it from his driveway, I am skeptical. And he hasn’t owned it long, so what are the problems with it? Bleah… so I started looking at dealers. I found a nice 2006 Impala with under 100k miles for 8500. That is pretty good, and depending on the financing I could get it for just over 100/mo in payments. But then there is insurance, and taxes, and gas, and maintenance, and this, and that, and blah, and bleah. So how much would it actually cost to own? If I wasn’t going back to school in the fall, I would get the Impala, but I think the Subaru handles what I need right now. Plus, the Subaru is a manual, which I absolutely love, and the Impala is an automatic transmission, which I find somewhat boring. There is also a Cadillac CTS for sale that would only cost about 150/mo, which is really nice. Or I could go for an old Saab for 100/mo… or there’s the Subaru…

No comments:

Post a Comment