Wednesday, September 28, 2011

The Beginning

I have been told that the best place to start is the beginning, so here it goes.
I was born in Beloit, WI, to parents of colorful histories. We moved to Sheboygan in 1994, where I began to go to school, and over the years I grew up, and then filled in my lanky frame.
I was raised in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, a religion commonly known as Mormons, so called for the scriptural text titled the "Book of Mormon, Another Testament of Jesus Christ." Members are commonly portrayed as polygamists that are solely intent on baptizing dead people and wear 'magic' underwear. None of these things are accurate.
We no longer practice polygamy (it has been well over a hundred years), we do not baptize dead people, and we have special garments we wear, but for what exact purpose I have yet to know, having not received special blessings and ordinances.
But this is not a story of my Church, but of my faith. My life. My metamorphosis.
I had planned my life around NOT serving a mission for my Church. To a point, I still have not decided to serve a mission for my Church, but for myself.(how SELFISH, you must be thinking. study economics, and you'll learn that all our actions are, technically, selfish.)
In January of 2011, on a snowy and blustery night, I was on my way to Plymouth for a night of video games and Johnsonville products with my friends 'A' and 'S.' A was getting ready to serve a mission, and I asked how it was going. He responded with a non-whining, but slightly downtrodden statement of the difficulties of preparation, at which point I suggested it would be easier if we worked on it together. And that was it. I realized that somewhere between my going to high school and that cold, white night, I had changed drastically.

This blog will not only be a (hopefully entertaining) narrative for you on how I came to be where, and who, I am today, but also a way for me to figure out how I decided to leave all my friends behind, and pay nearly 10 thousand dollar and volunteer to live with men for the next two years. (who the heck am i going to talk about ryan reynolds and gerard butler with?!?!?!?!)
So sit back enjoy, and maybe even throw on some Ke$ha for background music.

No comments:

Post a Comment